Current Job Postings
Position: Deputy Chief Administrative Officer (Posted January 22, 2020)
Cornwall is a young, vibrant growing Town. The Town is located west of Charlottetown, bordered by the North River to the east and the West River to the south and west. The Town is a result of the 1995 amalgamation of the former municipalities of the village of Cornwall and the communities of North River and Eliot River. Cornwall has experienced substantial growth since that time and has a 2016 population of 5,348. With this growth, a new position of Deputy CAO has been developed and the Town is seeking a motivated and experienced individual to join the management team.
The Deputy CAO is a senior management position in the Town of Cornwall that provides sound administrative management support to the Chief Administrative Officer. The Deputy CAO provides information and strategic advice to the CAO, and to Council through the CAO. In consultation with the CAO, this position is responsible for capital projects, change management processes, and corporate process improvement initiatives. As the primary staff assistant to the CAO, the Deputy CAO assists with managing the daily affairs of the Town within established policies. The Deputy CAO is expected to function with a high degree of independence. This position acts as the CAO in the CAO’s absence or as designated by the CAO.
Full job description can be found at Job Description – Deputy CAO.
- University degree in Civil Engineering or a related engineering field, or a university degree in urban or regional planning recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners;
- A Professional Engineer designation and be registered, or have the ability to register with Engineers PEI are strong assets;
- Minimum of three years administrative leadership experience;
- Certification in municipal administration an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
- Strategic or business planning and policy development experience;
- Ability to supervise the work of staff, consultants, contractors and other service providers;
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize work, and meet strict deadlines;
- Ability to lead and model excellent service and relationship management;
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills.
Qualified applicants are to submit their resume and coverletter to HR@Cornwallpe.ca no later than 5:00 PM February 7, 2020. It is anticipated that this position will be filled by March 31, 2020. Resumes and coverletters can be sent to Wendy MacIntyre at HR@Cornwallpe.ca. Phone calls and drop-ins will not be accepted.
Back to Current Job Postings
Position: Planning Clerk (Posted January 22, 2020)
Cornwall is a young, vibrant growing Town located west of Charlottetown, bordered by the North River to the east and the West River to the south and west. New builds for residential housing in the Town were at 36 dwellings (multi-family, semi-detached, and single family) in 2014 and increased by almost seven times to 250 this year and continues to grow. With the growth in buildings being built, the Planning and Development Department requires a Planning Clerk. The Town of Cornwall is therefore seeking an organized and experienced individual to join the Planning and Development Department reporting to the Department Manager.
This position is responsible for the administrative/clerical work in the Planning & Development Department with the Town of Cornwall. The position primarily provides support to the Planning and Development Department, and other departments as necessary. Duties include performing administrative duties such as maintaining municipal planning documents and filing systems, proofreading complex technical documents for planning and development purposes, taking minutes, responding to public enquiries about basic Development permit information, etc. This position involves work of a confidential nature and requires considerable initiative and independent judgment.
Full job description can be found at Job Description – Planning Clerk
- Degree or Post-Secondary Diploma from a recognized institution in a related field such as business administration, legal administration, public administration, etc.
- Three years’ experience dealing with the public in an office setting and working with computer-based systems
- Experience as a property paralegal is an asset
- Working knowledge of the PEI Municipal Government Actand other legislation related to municipal governance, and Town of Cornwall Bylaws
- Experience in a municipal office environment, involving planning and development matters, and real property matters would be considered an asset
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Able to work flexible time on occasion to accommodate evening meetings and events as required
- Working knowledge of legal processes as it pertains to the PEI Municipal Government Actand Regulations, and the PEI Planning Act is an asset
- Ability to interpret and understand real property documents such as deeds, easements, agreements
- Experience creating real property documents an asset
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public
Qualified applicants are to submit their resume and coverletter to HR@Cornwallpe.ca no later than 5:00 PM February 12, 2020 with the subject line “Planning Clerk”. Resumes and coverletters can be sent to Wendy MacIntyre at HR@Cornwallpe.ca. Phone calls and drop-ins will not be accepted.
Back to Current Job Postings
The Town of Cornwall is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified and interested individuals to apply. We look forward to meeting you and finding out how the Deputy CAO position aligns with your career goals!
Thank you to all who apply, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.